top of page

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Injury Compensation Part 2



Q: What is my supervisor’s responsibility once I report an injury?


A: When a notice of traumatic injury or occupational disease is filed, the immediate supervisor is responsible for doing the following:


a. Immediately ensuring that appropriate medical care is provided.

b. Providing the employee a Form CA–1 or a Form CA–2.

c. Completing the receipt attached to Form CA–1 or CA–2 and giving the receipt to the employee or the employee’s representative.

d. Investigating all reported job–related injuries and/or illnesses.

e. Immediately notifying the control office or control point of an injury, disease, or illness.

f. Prompt completion and forwarding of Form CA–1 or CA–2 to the control office or control point on the same day it is received from the employee.


In case of a traumatic injury, the supervisor must advise the employee of the following:


a. The right to select a physician of choice.

b. If the injury is disabling, the right to either of the following:

     1. To elect COP for up to 45 calendar days.

     2. To use annual or sick leave. An employee may subsequently request COP (subject to leave carryover      provisions) in lieu of previously requested sick and/or annual leave, but such a request must be made within 1 year      of the date the leave was used, or within 1 year of the date of OWCP’s approval of the claim, whichever is later.


Q: What is COP?


A: COP stands for Continuation of Pay. It is a substitute for worker’s compensation benefits during the first 45 days of an employee’s wage loss, caused by a traumatic on-the-job injury. The Postal Service will continue to pay your regular salary up to 45 calendar days if you are eligible for COP.


Q: Does COP include the weekends and holidays?


A: Yes, COP includes weekends, your days off and holidays. COP is 45 calendar days


Q: What if my doctor has provided me with restrictions which allow me to work 8 hours, but management is stating they do not have 8 hours of work within my medical restrictions?


A: You may request COP for the hours you are denied work. You may only request COP during the timeframe you are entitled to COP.


Q: What do I do when my COP ends and I have not returned to duty?


A: When disability is expected to extend beyond the COP period in traumatic injury cases, the injury compensation office provides the employee with a form CA-7, 10 days before the end of the COP period. You should fill out the CA-1, and have your attending physician complete a form CA-20. If you are not working due to management not providing you with work within your medical restrictions, you need to fill out a 3971 and indicate in the remarks section that you are being sent home due to management stating they have no work available within your medical restrictions. Request a completed copy of your 3971 from your supervisor. The injury compensation office submits the completed CA-7 to OWCP not less than 5 working days before termination of COP.


Q: I suffered a traumatic injury (CA-1) and my doctor has taken me off work, what medical documentation do I have to submit?


A: You need to submit medical evidence supporting disability resulting from the claimed traumatic injury, including a statement as to when you can return to your date–of–injury job. You need to provide it to management within 10 calendar days after the claim for COP is filed.


Q: How do I get paid for being off work due to my on the job injury.


A: If you lose time from work due to your injury, you may be entitled to compensation from OWCP. You will have to request LWOP from the Postal Service and fill out the appropriate documentation to request compensation from OWCP. Please do the following if you would like OWCP to pay you:


Fill out your 3971 and mark LWOP.

Get a completed copy of your 3971 from your supervisor.

Have documentation to support your absence.

Fill out a CA-7.

If the period claimed on the CA-7 is intermittent, you need also to complete a CA-7a “Time Analysis Form”.

Submit all of the above to injury compensation or to your local supervisor. Please keep copies of all documentation.


Q: How often should I submit my CA-7 forms?


A: You should submit your CA-7 every two weeks until OWCP tells you not to.


Q: What is the periodic payroll?


A: Periodic payroll basically means you no longer have to submit your CA-7 every two weeks because OWCP will automatically pay you once a month until you return to duty or you receive a notice from OWCP indicating you are no longer eligible to receive compensation.


Q: How do I receive my compensation payment via direct deposit?


A: To receive compensation payments via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), please complete form SF-1199a “Direct Deposit Form” and mail it to U.S. Department of Labor, DFEC Central Mailroom, and P.O. Box 8300, London, KY, 40742-8300. You must ensure your case file number is on the form. The SF-1199a is available on a variety of websites including the General Services Administration site at


Q: How long does management have to turn in my form CA-1 or CA-2 to OWCP?


A: Within 10 working days after the claim is received from you.


Q: How much time does management have to submit my CA-7 to OWCP?


A: Within 5 working days after the claim is received from you. If you need any assistance filling out your paperwork please call the Branch at 714-748-1100 to schedule an appointment.

bottom of page